Okay, that really isn’t the subtitle of this post. The subtitle should be something like ‘how Joss Whedon got it so damn right’ or ‘why this is the best Marvel superhero movie so far’. Because, dammit, it was great.
I’m going to try and stay non-spoilery here and just highlight a few things I loved.
1) Natasha Romanoff. Likely the single best developed character in the movie. She was strong, she was kick-ass, she was in control. She showed weakness but was never weak.
2) Bruce Banner. Oh wow did someone finally get him right. Him and the Hulk, and it was a great thing to see. Had there been a Hulk movie about this Banner? I would have seen it over and over.
3) The team isn’t one, at least not at first. There’s no magic that makes them suddenly gel, they don’t all get along, they’re all used to being their own leader and they butt heads. It’s great to see their issues bubble up and over.
4) The humour. There’s a perfect amount of silly, of self-deprecation. There are inside jokes without being exclusionary. There are as many good laughs in the movie as there are great action sequences.
5) Loki. Tom Hiddleston is amazing and completely brought it to this role. We didn’t expect anything less, but to see it on screen was something else.
Seriously guys? This movie was awesome. Disparate elements all tied to together to make this movie exactly what it needed to be and should be. It’s the first Avengers movie, it’s the movie of a team forming and it is a beautiful thing.