I am pretty much a n00b when it comes to what is going on issue-to-issue in the New 52, which was why I sort of jumped at the chance to cover this panel. It was a pretty crowded panel (both as far as creators, content AND people in the audience) which is always nice to see. I did my best to keep track of the salient details, but things went by at a break neck pace and I was sans camera to get some cool pics. There is a chance of spoilers behind the cut, so click with caution!
Greg Capulo (Batman)
Jeff Lemire (JL Dark)
Moritat (All-Star Western)
Josh Fialkov (I, Vampire)
Justice League of America
Creative team: Geoff Johns, David Finch
- There is a very specific reason why this team is together. Each person involved has an agenda.
- Dynamics between the players have a huge impact. Not everyone is exactly thrilled to be there.
- Was referred to as the most dangerous team in America
- Team Line-up includes: Green Arrow, Katana, Martian Manhunter, the new Green Lantern, Stargirl, Vibe, Hawkman and Catwoman.
- Next arc: H’el on Earth
- Justice League members will appear in a lot off different places across the ‘verse.
- H’el is a serious baddie who ends up taking over the Fortress and kicking Kal-El out of it.
- Superman has to appeal to the Justice League and his cousin, Kara, to get the Fortress back AND defeat H’el.
- Kara is NOT pleased with Kal
- The close-and-quaint Superfamily is gone, what remains is a family dynamic more closely resembling a tense family Thanksgiving.
- Kara has a reaction akin to “You told me Krypton was gone. What the Hell.” re: the whole H’el mess.
- Something new from Krypton shows up. What it is, the creators were pretty tight-lipped about.
Batman: Death of the Family
- A wild Scott Snyder appears just in time to talk Batman.
- Talk about how the Joker is approaching this arc.
- Joker “picked” Batman. Tells Batman that his worst nightmares keep him strong and that family has made him weak, therefore the Joker will destroy his life.
- A pretty vicious plan that has been cooked up by the Joker since he’s been gone. Done out of a twisted form of love that the Joker has for both Batman and Gotham.
- Joker sees himself as the jester/truthteller to Batman’s king
- Greg Capulo talked about the fun that he had with faceless Joker and a lot off little ways to play with that imagery as things move on.
- They promised to be as gentle as possible with Alfred (even if they are going to kill him off).
- Bobbie Chase (editor) talked about this, but didn’t have a lot to say beyond her enthusiasm for Earth 2 and the creative team.
- Featuring Steppenwolf and the last Amazon of Earth 2 (but wouldn’t say who it was)
- Nicola Scott will be back on the book with issue #9
- Rotworld: Swamp Thing and Animal Man collision
- Did not intend to do a crossover, but it sort of developed organically and no one is opposed to it.
- Not featuring A-List characters, but now these characters have to become champions in this story.
- There WILL be a Green Lantern in it, but it won’t be: John Stewart, Hal Jordan or Guy Gardner.
Justice League Dark
- Annual is coming up next. Both Amethyst and I, Vampire characters will appear
- Ray Fox is joining as co-writer
- Death of Magic on the horizon
- Team change with Timothy Hunter joining.
- Was referred to as one of the more fun New 52 titles
- Jonah Hexx has his leg broken (and other wild speculation based solely on cover art)
- Starting in Issue 16, Jonah Hexx is back to the future; namely 2016 and a team up with Adam Strange
- The future is more technically complicated. (Even more now when compared to twenty years ago, so there will be play on that theme.)
- 1000 years in the future people are so dependent on technology the big “what if” is what might happen when it stops working properly.
- Will introduce a new Fatal 5
- Basically will be what you do when nothing works.
- Deadshot isn’t dead! And he’s coming back.
- Play in something from Shamsher program and how it plays into the overall plan
- Deadshot is at the center of this plan
- Who is Kingshark comes up. El Diablo’s powers , what they are and how they control him.
- Someone will die and there will be a huge storyline pay off
- At the end of Issue 12, Andrew Bennett tries to wipe out all vampires, ends up absorbing all of that evil and thus becomes the first (and only) vampire.
- He forms an army to fight all those who defeated him when he was a human (many of whom are now human themselves)
- Vampires are now human.
- Still has elements of a love story going on
- Origins of the Van Helsing of this universe
- Team up against Calypso
- “Every character dies in Issue 5” (or so it was claimed)
- Set 5 years before present day DCU
- A lot of backstory for these characters is going to come up
- How these people became the people that they are right now
- Stakes are not small
- One of the real eccentric badasses of DCU
- Give him enough time and he can figure out anything which is part of what makes him so dangerous
- Slade Wilson is a smart guy with a lot of experience. More than just power going on
- Kate loses her head, Superboy loses his arm
- Ravaging of the rest of DCU
- The kids are done running
- Have found a safe house with people to train them
- A new team will come together with Superboy acting as the catalyst to spur this on
- Paul Cornell will be leaving after issue 16, replaced by Robert Venditti (artist will stay the same).
- Trying to get to Avalon
- As are others: Lucifer and his, the Silent Knights, and the Questing Queen
- There will be a total of 4 armies fighting it out over this
- There will be a leap 15 to 30 years into the future…which is still in the past.
Sword of Sorcery
- Amethyst has been very much about character development and world building so far.
- The character does not understand why her life was like the way it was
- Her mother tells her and then takes her back to Gem World at age 17
- Has a lot of dynastic intrigue
- Power held by either one person or shared, but only if done so freely
- A blood-based power (so can only pass through related people)
- Very much aiming for a Game of Thrones feel
- Power-balance has shifted and that will be addressed
- Did not comment on the recent mild controversy that appeared in the book.
Green Lantern: New Guardians Third Army
- Gathering up all the other powers of the rings. This group will be battling Guardians themselves.
- A lot will be happening in the next 4 to 5 issues.
- Prompted by an audience question, re: fourth wave of the new 52, it was said that timing is interesting so the only way to know is to wait and see.