Wednesday! Glorious comic book day! Check out our post to see what we’re looking forward to reading this week, and let us know what you’re picking up as well.
Our pull of the week:
Edge of Spider-Verse #2
Story: Jason Latour
Art: Robbie Rodriguez, Ricco Renzi
Publisher: Marvel Comics
GWEN STACY: SPIDER-WOMAN!
• In one universe, it wasn’t Peter Parker bitten by the radioactive Spider, but Gwen Stacy!
• She’s smart, charming and can lift a car– Just don’t tell her Police Chief father!
• How is she involved in Spider-Verse? Seeds of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #9 are planted here!
- The Wicked + The Divine #4: Oh, it’s a WicDiv week? Yay!
- All-New X-Men #32: Okay, my interest is fully back. OG X-Men in the Ultimate universe, chilling with Miles? What could possibly go wrong?
- Avengers #35: I’ve hit a stretch where I’m in plot fatigue, but this always happens with Hickman. Give me about ten issues, then I’ll come back, re-read, and my mind will be blown. Until then, I’ll pull it and save up for that wonderful day.
- Edge of Spider-Verse #2: Spider-Gwen! I still haven’t read the first issue, but I will do that immediately so I can fully appreciate this.
- Elektra #6: I’m glad that the rumors of cancellation were exaggerated. The story and Elektra’s characterization leave much to be desired, but the art is absolutely gorgeous. It’s one of the best drawn books I’ve read in a long, long time.
- Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man #5: Dare we hope for some answers? WE DARE.
- Original Sin #5.5: Reeeeally waiting to see how this all plays out. Still hate Angela’s costume.
- Thor: God of Thunder #25: I think I’m an issue or two behind, but this is one of the better Marvel books coming out right now. Too bad silly AXIS is on its way and will be ruining my mood in several Marvel books to come.
- The Wicked + The Divine #4: Ohhhhh shit, Ba’al heard what you were saying about him, ladies. Even after all the great Morrigan stuff of the last issue, I still feel like this book is slowing down and settling in a bit, so I’m hoping this week sees more action. But I still adore this book.
- All-New X-Men #32: It’s a two-Miles book week! I’m glad it’s the X-Men coming to the Ultimate Universe and not the other way around, and I’m really looking forward to seeing what a lot of X-Men have been up to offscreen. I love everything about this idea, really.
- Miles Morales The Ultimate Spider-Man #5: Here’s hoping for some kind of an answer to SOMETHING this week! Is Peter Parker alive? What’s the deal with Katie Bishop? What happened to Miles’s dad? Will Miles stop telling people that he’s Spider-Man? (Spoiler alert, no. No, he won’t. He will tell the entire Ultimate Universe one by one.)
- Edge of Spider-Verse #2: I’m really only in Spider-Verse for the Miles and Ultimate Jessica Drew, but I’ve been anticipating this one ever since they dropped the costume on us. High hopes for this one.
- Fables #144: We’re building up towards an insane battle (or probably battles) right before the end. Arc mid-points are always weird, especially when there looks to be two climaxes right before the end for this. Either way, I’m going to be sad when this stuff ends.
- Supergirl Futures End #1: I can’t tell if I’m going to read this one out of genuine interest or morbid curiosity. All I know is that if I end up raging in frustration/confusion, I know that the only person I can blame is myself.
- The Wicked + The Divine #4: Can premise and art be enough to keep me interested in a series when the delivery has sort of left me all over the place? I’m ready for a bit more explanation and a little less coolness which hopefully this issue will provide. I mean, I’ll keep reading it since I enjoy how they’re handling Laura’s tumble into the world. But a girl can’t live on badass character intros alone…
- All New X-Men #32: Someone was clearly mining tumblr when they came up with this premise, but I frankly do not care. Welcome to the crazy club, Miles! May you be shipped with WAY too many X-Men before your time is over.
- Edge of Spider-Verse #2: Spider-Gwen, Spider-Gwen, does whatever a spider can. Which apparently involves being in a band. This is an issue that I am so incredibly afraid of and excited for. Can it survive the hype of its concept? God I hope. If not, I’ll just fanfic the hell out of it.
- Thor God of Thunder #25: I enjoyed this turn for Thor and I’m pretty certain we’re about to barrel heard first into the intro for new!Thor. This giant issue probably has a lot of the set-up for what’s to come in October so I’m going to enjoy this final burst.
- The Wicked + The Divine #4: Last issue had kind of a dividing line down the middle – here’s the end of the scene, here is a couple of people talking about it (less an afterparty and more an after-action report). This one is maybe jumping into a whole thing. At the very least, hopefully Luci will show up in a capacity other than flashbacked exposition.
- All-New X-Men #32: For the next while, Bendis will be writing Miles in two titles, so whatever’s going down I’m here for it. What will the OG X-Men even do in Ultimate-verse? What’s the point of all this? Who the heck knows. But it should be fun. (Apply those sentences to any Bendis comic, I guess.)
- Avengers #35: TIME RUNS OUT. Did the Avengers have a sale they were really meaning to get to but it ends today? Or in eight months, from the solicit. This is very vague. New line up should be interesting, at least.
- Edge of Spider-Verse #2: SPIDER-GWEN. The breakout alternate universe character none of us have actually read yet. Gosh I hope it lives up to the promise. It’s just such a swell idea. And if it does turn out to be as swell as it should be, I hope we then get a USM-style ongoing set in her continuity, I would be here for that.
- Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man #5: Will we finally find out what the deal is with Apparently Peter Parker? (My current off-the-wall guess is Ultimate Superior Spider-Man. Ock’s mind in a clone of Peter or such.) I HOPE SO. This is not pick of the week as I don’t know if Bendis will explain it or just pull a Guardians of the Galaxy and decide to just run with Peter being alive again for a couple of years.
- Avengers #35: After Al Ewing’s foray into ‘Hey, this is totally Man of Steel, only done right’ with the last Hyperion-centric point one issue, I’m looking forward to getting back to the meat of Hickman’s arc.
- Daredevil #8: For as long as Waid is on the title, this will always be a must-read for me. I want Waid to write every title.
- Original Sin #5.5: The ending to the last issue surprised the hell out of me, so I very much want to know what’s in store for the Brothers Odinson now that daddy’s home.
- Thor: God of Thunder #25: I think this is one of the last issues (if not the last issue?) before Axis starts in earnest, so I’m gonna enjoy Thor as the God of Thunder for as long as I can. I’ll miss ya, buddy, but you’ll surely be back around the next movie. Corporate synergy and all.