— Marvel Entertainment (@Marvel) October 22, 2014
The hype began Tuesday night, with an announcement just after Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD that the trailer would be making its debut Tuesday, October 28th in primetime on ABC. But just twenty-four hours later, a leak online spread like wildfire, and after an acknowledgement on Marvel’s part (and also probably some disappointment, despite their joke), the trailer’s here early! And the crew here at GRCT is freaking out.
Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron arrives in U.S. theaters May 1, 2015.
Our reactions to the trailer– those of us who can manage to string words together– after the jump.
Reactions in Picture Form: The Disintegration of a Fangirl’s Mind
(Really, just skip this madness.)
Thanks for the nightmare fuel, Marvel.
I want Widow’s dress. Who is the third lady??
Yeeeeessss, ‘evil/misguided twins who turn good and help the Avengers’ storyline, come to meeeeee
THIS IS THE BEST SUIT
Why so broken? Look at you all. BRUCE WHAT HAPPENED. IS THIS POST-HULKBUSTER?
I know these are only glimpses but I love the effects already, KICK SOME ASS WANDA
OH MY FUCKING GOD HE’S TOUCHING HER PALM ALL CALMLY?? AND SHE’S STILL SCARED BUT WILLING AND KNOWS BRUCE IS UNDER THERE AND OH MY GOD THEY’RE BECOMING BFFS RIGHT? RIGHT??????
YOU’RE A CHARACTER NOW? WHOOOO?
oh my god, he has bunny ears
I have watched this trailer no less than ten times. I admit, I’m weak and I watched the leak (my resolve lasted all of a minute and a half), then kept it open in my browser just to watch it over and over again, but in its full 1080p glory, I’m not sure how I keep myself from watching it over and over and over again, holy crap.
Okay, top of my head impressions:
- Ultron. ULTRON. I’ll admit to not having read the comic arc this movie is loosely based on, so my knowledge of Ultron is mostly limited to what we’ve gleaned from what is going to be in this film, but holy crap is James Spader chilling. I don’t think the trailer really got me hyped up until the Pinocchio song started up with Ultron talking over it, holy crap.
- Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch! Ahhh! I want to see more of how Pietro moves. I like the trail of blue behind him, but I need MORE.
- Cap alone breaking into some kind of abandoned building looking for something? Bucky? IS HE LOOKING FOR BUCKY?
- The Hulkbuster armor has got me all kinds of jazzed. HULK THROWS A CAR AT IT AND THEN PUNCHES THE CAR. I am SO READY for this.
Are you okay, Doctor Banner?
BRUCE ARE YOU OKAY?
There was an actual small fire last night in my apartment building and my biggest concern was how this was going to impact my repeated viewings of the trailer. SO REAL TALK: I might’ve yelled like a crazed she-demon when I was interrupted.
My thoughts can basically be boiled down to: MAXIMOFF TWINS, CRAZY BEARDED ANDY SERKIS, BANNER TRYING TO CURL INTO HIMSELF, WHY IS THE PINOCCHIO SONG STUCK IN MY HEAD, RED ROOOOOOM, SO MANY FEELS.
Take all of that, add some flailing and wild gesturing, put in into a blender and then you’ve pretty much got my feelings. I always knew that the armor was going to turn against them. Anything built in a cave from a box of scraps is ultimately suspect…
These are my true first impressions, having only viewed the trailer once so far, huddled wide-eyed over my phone while on my lunch break. The way it was meant to be seen, clearly.
Initial impression: Incoherent warbling noises.
- At first I was a little thrown by Ultron just sounding like a slightly metallic James Spader, but then I remembered how easy it was to buy JARVIS as something more than a Paul Bettany voiceover, and it all clicked neatly into place.
- “There are no strings on me.” CHILLS.
- Not as much Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch as I was expecting, but this just makes me feel better about everyone in the ensemble getting their due, and I liked what I saw of them.
- This might just be my personal biases showing, but was this trailer really Bruce/Hulk-heavy? Maybe it’s just me zeroing in on things the first time around, but he seemed to get a whole lot of focus. This is not a complaint.
- I really wish Twitter hadn’t spoiled me with a picture of the Hulkbuster armour prior to my actually getting to watch it in action. Because OH MY GOD. Perfection.
- Action action action, fight fight fight, it’s all kind of a blur right now, but gosh will I have a lot to unpack later.
- Andy Serkis’ role revealed as everyone’s favourite Marvel hero, Dirty Bearded Macklemore.
- I don’t even really recall what Ultron looked like? It left zero impression on me, unlike THAT VOICE.
Final thoughts: Loud screaming while I vibrate in place.
Okay, time to go dissect it frame by frame until I completely overload and burn myself out, allowing me to actually relax for the next six months. I honestly don’t think I’ve ever been so affected by a trailer. Bring it.
Clearly, the most important thing is that Black Widow’s hair is in the better looking cut again. And on that note: BALLET. Is the ballet just a random grab of something that’ll get blown up, or are we talking some Red Room Black Widow stuff? I HOPE SO.
Who are those folks shooting a place up, what’s with the tank, is this all pre-Ultron Avengers peacekeeping stuff, what’s the deal there? Why is Thor mad at- oh, well, I guess that could be the MADE AN ARMY OF KILLER ROBOTS. STILL. Hulkbuster looks rad as hell.
Spader delivered a line from Pinocchio and made it menacing as hell so good job Spadertron. I think that monologue was cut up from bits and pieces as trailer monologues often are, so look forward to hearing stuff in the natural context. Also is the creepy version of that song available anywhere? I need it. I need it for when I can’t be watching this trailer.
Also on the robots, that one limping robot — presumably proto-Ultron — limping into what is probably Avengers tower, ALSO a good, creepy shot, that thing is worrying. As it should be. Gonna blow up the world.
basically everyone is screwed and it’s cool, looking forward to everyone being cool and screwed
But really, the most important question:
Who’s this guy? Why does he get a random close-up in the montage? What inspired him to shave his moustache but not his beard? WHAT ARE YOUR SECRETS, STRANGE BEARDED MAN.
Coming May: AGE OF BEARDTRON
It took me a minute to recognize the song in the trailer. I knew I knew it, but it was nagging me until halfway through, when I realized it was “I’ve Got No Strings” from Pinocchio, a movie that gave me recurring nightmares all throughout my childhood because of that damn donkey sequence.
That’s the moment I got The Full Body Chill. There are a lot of things I loved about this trailer, but the thing I’ve been looking most forward to about Age of Ultron has not been seeing all my favourite Avengers together again — though that’s certainly a Contender #2. Nope, I’ve been itching — itching — to see what James Spader was going to bring to the role of Ultron, so this trailer was basically tailor-made for my interests. I don’t think it’s any secret that the MCU had something of a villain problem in Phase One, an issue they’ve rectified in some Phase Two films and fumbled in others. I’m gonna take a wild guess and say that Spader’s Ultron will be the villain the MCU at large finally deserves (well, ’til Vincent D’Onofrio puts his stamp on Kingpin, but I’ll save that particular bit of fangirling for another post).
Rapid Fire Reaction Time!
- WHY IS THOR CHOKING TONY?
- The ballet sequence interests me ‘cause it hints that we might be getting some Natasha backstory!
- Pietro’s hair looks so much better after colour-timing!
- BROKEN. SHIELD.
- The Quinjet looks a lot more swanky.
- THOR IN DRESSY MIDGARDIAN GARB, KEEPING TO HIS COLOUR-SCHEME.
- Hawkeye totally not dressed up at all.
- Who is the third lady at the party? Assuming two are Widow and Hill.
- Best incarnation of the Cap suit or BEST INCARNATION OF THE CAP SUIT?
- Pietro and Wanda: working WITH Ultron possibly?
- ANDY SERKIS.
- JAMES. SPADER.
- J A M E S S P A D E R
- Damn, the CGI at the end, THAT IS SO SPADER. I CAN SEE HIS FACE. EVEN IF IT’S ALL CREEPY AND ULTRON-ED UP.