Wednesday! Glorious comic book day! Check out our post to see what we’re looking forward to reading this week, and let us know what you’re picking up as well.
Our picks of the week:
“BETTY RIP” Part 2 (of 6): “Thanksgiving”
THE SMASH HORROR HIT CONTINUES! It’s been weeks since Archie and his friends left Riverdale. Now, they are wandering the deserted highways of America, one step ahead of the ever-pursuing vicious zombie horde. When they decide to set down roots to observe their first post-apocalypse Thanksgiving, Mr. Lodge leads a team into the forests of Pennsylvania to find dinner, but the hunters soon become the hunted, and not all of the gang will make it out of the woods alive…
Suze and Jon meet Ana. Or rather, meet Ana AGAIN. Or should we say, meet…Ms. Jazmine St. Cocaine AGAIN. Did we just put those words in that order in PREVIEWS? Yes. Yes we did.
- Afterlife with Archie #7: I didn’t realize just how long it had been since an issue until I saw this on the releases this week. Yeeeessss!
- Bitch Planet #1: I have no idea what this is, other than there are badass looking ladies, and Kelly Sue DeConnick is writing it. Automatic pick up for me.
- Sex Criminals #9: Brimp! Crimz! Words!
- Rocket Raccoon #6: Still enjoying this as a comic that’s good for a fun, light read every month.
- Spider-Man And The X-Men #1: The strange combination of Spider-Man and teenage mutants can’t be anything but hilarious. I’m excited.
- Thor #3: I finally read the first two issues and I’m really excited and drawn into the mystery. I’m still irked by how Odinson became unworthy, but I like this new Thor so far.
- X-Men #22: Is G. Willow Wilson on this book yet? Next month? Okay, then.
- Afterlife with Archie #7: Hey, this is back! I’m still not over that whole thing with the dog, but I’m still super excited to have my heart broken by a book that I never thought I’d be reading in the first place.
- Batgirl #37: This creative team won me over so, so fast after I tried the first New 52 Batgirl and dropped it about two issues in.
- Bitch Planet #1: I’ve been looking at promo pages and reading and hearing about this one since HeroesCon, and I am IN. This is a week where usually Sex Criminals or Rocket Raccoon would be my pick of the week, but it’s sheer curiosity that has me picking this as my most anticipated pull.
- Sex Criminals #9: It’s been far, far too long. I’m ready for Jasmine St. Cocaine, and whatever great background gags Chip “Howard the Duck” Zdarsky has for us. Oh, and also the words by the Fraction guy.
- Spider-Verse Team-Up #2: As much as I try to only dip my toe into Spider-Verse, I keep picking up and reading more and more tie-in books. I just need to concede defeat and read them all.
- Rocket Raccoon #6: Just pure fun, as always.
- Sex Criminals #9: This is my office read. We’re all mildly obsessed which makes for hilarious Thursday discussions.
- Thor #3: I am enjoying the slower pace of this title. I can see how it can be alienating to those who want answers, but for now I’m enjoying the mix between action and mystery.
- Bitch Planet #1: I am so curious and excited about this one that I kind of wnat to roll around in it. Please let it be good. I don’t know if I can deal with it disappointing.
- East of West The World #1: A nice little one-shot from a world I enjoy. I can’t wait to kind of see how it turns out, especially since it’s been a little bit of time since I journeyed there.
- Spider-Man and the X-Men #1: It’s two things that I enjoy in one place! Hopefully it won’t turn out to be a hot, boring mess like a lot of Marvel crossovers. I could do with less mess, more sass.
- Afterlife With Archie #7: It’s been 84 years… But hey, at least with the delay between issues, Americans can now also know the strangeness of people going on about Thanksgiving weeks after the fact! But seriously, folks, this is one of the best comics out there right now.
- Sex Criminals #9: Mmm, yes, I am ready for another of these.
- Supreme Blue Rose #5: I’m still not sure how something so utterly confusing can still be so beautiful and engaging, but here we are. Definitely wondering if this will read better in trade form, but too impatient to wait to find out.
- Walking Dead #135: Okay, but seriously, where the hell is Michonne?
- Nightcrawler #9: Sad to hear this book is coming to an end, but unsurprised; twelve issues is the shelf life for most of Marvel’s offbeat little quote-unquote “ongoing” titles these days. Gonna enjoy the next few months and hope they immediately stick Claremont on something else that’s right in his current wheelhouse of fun-yet-inconsequential-with-lots-of-heart.
- Afterlife With Archie #7: It feels like it’s been so long since the last Afterlife that an actual zombie apocalypse could have broken out? Glad to see it back. The arc is called BETTY RIP, which isn’t ominous at all!
- All-New Ultimates #11: Couldn’t care less about the new villain or the return of Taskmaster or the Serpent Skulls stuff, but hey, Bombshell savin’ the day. Bombshell is the best.
- Avengers #39: I have no new way to be like ‘what is going on I LOVE IT.’
- Batgirl #37: Remains completely my jam, to my discomfort. At least good comics is good comics?
- Bitch Planet #1: I don’t even know what this is about, except presumably it’s not just an angry planet. But a lot of folks have been talking it up so, sure, I’m down, let’s try the total surprise thing.
- Sex Criminals #9: Sex crimmin on the sex crim cram, sex crimmin on the sex cram
- Spider-Man And The X-Men #1: Spider-Man, Guidance Counselor? In. Down. Let’s roll.
- Spider-Verse Team-Up #2: If you haven’t seen the preview for the bit where Miles meets Really Old Animated Series Spidey, just… go look at that. Because, right? Right? Genius.
- Thor #3: Oh, hey, we get to find out who Thor is, right? Cool. I will say that if this keeps up with the thought balloons, I’m out, I mean… c’mon. C’mon.
- Afterlife with Archie #7: I was just wondering when this book was coming back, and here it is! May it be as creepy and sad as the first arc.
- Bitch Planet #1: The promotion for this book has me intrigued, and with DeConnick at the helm, I’m giving it at least an issue.
- Copperhead #4: Single mom sheriff on a backwater planet, trying to keep the peace? Sign me up. I mainlined the first three issues of this a few weeks ago, and I can’t recommend it enough.
- Sex Criminals #9: EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS BOOK.
- Avengers #39: I said it last time, and I’ll say it again: HICKMAAAAN.
- Spider-Man and the X-Men #1: Seeing as he’s my favourite character, I would really love to enjoy a 616-Peter-Parker-as-Spider-Man ongoing again. Is this gonna be the book for me? We’ll see.
- Thor #3: I’m pretty sure she’s the SHIELD agent introduced earlier in Aaron’s run, but I’m hoping we get confirmation of her identity sooner rather than later.
- Uncanny X-Men Annual #1: Andrea Sorrentino is on the art for this issue, and that alone is worth the price of admission. I loved his work on Green Arrow and was so excited when he made the trip to Marvel.