Wednesday! Glorious comic book day! Check out our post to see what we’re looking forward to reading this week, and let us know what you’re picking up as well.
Our pick of the week:
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #3
Story: Ryan North
Art: Erica Henderson
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Time is running out, and the only way for Squirrel Girl to stop Galactus is to get to the moon… you know, somehow?? See the unveiling of Squirrel Girl’s new Flying Squirrel Suit… that she maaaaybe borrowed from Iron Man. Also, the final face-off with Galactus! ON THE MOON.
- Ei8ht #2: Haven’t read the first issue yet, but I’m interested in seeing where this all goes.
- Kitchen #5: I’m really enjoying this series, and I wish I had more to say about it or something to entice others to read other than IT’S GOOD, EVERYONE CHECK IT OUT.
- Orphan Black #2: Saving these up for a future binge read, I think. Plus, I still need to finish season two…
- Chrononauts #1: Siiiigh. I’m giving this a chance because it looks just like the ridiculous sci-fi I love to read/watch, but it’s written by Mark Millar, who is usually hit or very, very big miss for me. We’ll see how it all shakes out.
- Red One #1: You had me at “America’s greatest hero is a Russan spy.”
- Black Widow #16: I’m still dubious about the current storyline, but this is still one of my favorite titles right now and I can forgive a lot for it.
- Silk #2: I still haven’t read the first issue, but Scott loved it, so I’ll be pulling this and reading both soon.
- Storm #9: SAVE STORM, SAVE THIS BOOK, READ IT READ IT EVERYONE. I mean, this issue has GAMBIT. Speaking of, I really want a Gambit & Storm: Master Thieves series…
- Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #3: What’s there to say? It’s Squirrel Girl. She’s unbeatable. There’s Galactus. It’s all awesome.
- Batgirl #40: Batgirl has become the lone DC title I’m still picking up. All in all, it’s just a really fun book. The only exposure I’ve had to Batgirl has really been this book and the beginning of the New 52 title, and while I know a lot of people have their issues with the bits of Barbara’s story that have been somewhat erased by new canon, I’m really enjoying this for what it is. And it’s about to become my gateway drug to going back and reading back issues to get more Dinah Lace.
- Silk #2: I picked this up on a whim last month, even though I wasn’t really a fan of what I saw of Silk in previous Spider-Man encounters. But the art on this book is great, the writing is spectacular and it’s definitely going to end up one of my favorites if the quality remains consistent.
- Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #3: Galactus. Awww yiss.
Thanks to my ongoing losing battle with technology, I’ve no explanations for my picks this week, except to say that they are all pretty excellent comics and you should do yourself some favours by checking them out!
- Lumberjanes #12
- Groo: Friends and Foes #3
- Red Sonja: Vulture’s Circle #3
- Judge Dredd #28
- Stray Bullets: Sunshine and Roses #2
- Silk #2
- Storm #9
- Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #3
- Cyclops #11: As fun as Cyclops, Undercover Space Pirate was, it’s good to have his dad free for, well, Cyclops And Dad, Non-Undercover Space Pirates, I guess. And it wasn’t like his dad wasn’t present. Whatevs, it’s always fun, and now, haha, Cyclops has another woman scorned to deal with. So I guess Teen Cyclops can’t avoid all his older self’s mistakes.
- Loki: Agent of Asgard #12: Now that the truth is out, the crime is revealed, it’s time to get really mad at Old Loki and whatever that douche is up to.
- Silk #2: The first issue hit one of my favourite tones in superhero books, with Cindy hitting that great balance of stumbling but working towards self-realization, charming inner monologue, and the plot itself setting up good hooks and actually engaging with her backstory in a way that her other appearances glossed over. And all in that really great art style. Plus, reading it now will automatically cause the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt theme to start playing in my head, which can only be to its credit.
- Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #3: Galactus vs Squirrel Girl. Kind of tough to get excited about a match with a foregone haha just kidding it’s gonna be rad as hell.